Next time you purchase a bottle of shampoo or a bar of soap, consider what’s IN the bottle, not just ON it.
Sulfate (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, a.k.a. SLS or ALS) is a detergent and emulsifier used in thousands of cosmetic products and regular household cleaners.
Although SLS originates from coconuts, it’s anything but natural. It’s what manufacturers use to make your shampoo and soaps “foam,” giving you the impression that it’s cleaning better.
But what happens when products containing SLS are used? According to the Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep: Cosmetic Safety Reviews, the use of products containing SLS have shown links to organ toxicity, developmental and reproductive toxicity in children, and possible mutations and cancer – although health risks will vary based on the level of exposure to SLS. The Mayo Clinic also reports that toothpastes and mouthwashes containing SLS can contribute to canker sores.
EWG’s studies indicate that the average adult uses nine personal care products daily, which amount to over 126 different chemicals.
Putting chemicals on your skin or scalp can actually be worse for you than ingesting them, as when you eat them, the enzymes in your saliva and stomach help to break them down and flush out of your body.
On the other hand when these chemicals are applied directly onto the skin, they are immediately absorbed into your bloodstream without filtering of any kind, going directly into your organs.
In fact, research has shown that after spending just 17 minutes in a bubble bath, analysis of your urine would reveal traces of all the ingredients you poured into the water.•