- - - -
Smokey Bean and Beets Vegetarian (Meatless Monday) Healthy Burger
This Kids Naturally burger’s smmmokin’!! Crunchy on the outside and moist on the inside. What does it taste like? You can definitely taste the beans, plus the crunchiness of the beets give it a nice texture (not like eating fried mushy beans) and the spices
give it a nice ‘zing’.
It’s our favourite meatless burger yet!
• 3/4 cup cooked quinoa (takes 15 minutes
to cook, check online for our easy recipe)
• 1/2 large red onion, finely diced (~3/4 cup)
• 1 cup finely chopped mushrooms
• Salt & Pepper
• 1 small can black beans, well rinsed out
• 1 cup finely grated raw beet (peel first!)
• 1 tsp cumin powder
• 1 tsp turmeric powder (optional, but very healthy!)
• 1/2 tsp cayenne powder
• 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
• 1/2 cup raw walnuts, crushed or ground
into a loose meal
Heat a large pan over medium-low heat and add some grapeseed oil. Sauté onion with a pinch of salt and pepper. Then add mushrooms and sauté some more.
Remove from heat, place in a bowl and add black beans - mash all together. Add the quinoa, beets, spices, walnut meal and stir.
Shape into patties and either fry on a pan with a bit of grapeseed oil, or place on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and bake in 400° oven for 20 minutes - gently flipping over halfway through.
The burgers will be slightly flaky, so handle with care. The longer you bake/fry, the more they will dry out and be flakier... but delicious!