Vegan Burgers (Yummy!)
You don’t always need ground beef or turkey to make the BEST burgers! These vegan burgers are made with ground up chickpeas... they’re filling, packed with nutrients and flavour, and slightly tangy... perfect for a fast dinner that even the kids with love!
Recipe: Courtesy of Dr. Ben Kim
- - - -
1 can chickpeas - 540 mL (19 fl oz), well drained and patted dry
1 can corn - 340 mL, well drained, patted dry
One handful chives or cilantro, whichever you prefer
4 tablespoons whole wheat flour or any other type of flour
Juice of 1/2 a lime
Coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil for frying
Any condiments you enjoy - avocado slices, tomato, Dijon mustard, lettuce, mayo, etc.
Your choice of buns
1. Rinse chickpeas well and be sure to drain chickpeas and corn well and pat dry.
2. Give chives or cilantro a rough chop.
3. Combine drained chickpeas, drained corn, chives or cilantro, juice of half a lime, and four tablespoons of flour in a food processor and pulse until everything is combined. You want it to be a bit chunky, not completely smooth.
4. Dust a tray or casserole dish with flour. Shape mixture into six patties that are about 2 cm thick and place on dusted tray or casserole dish. If you prefer smaller patties, you can stretch the mixture out to 8 patties.
5. Put patties in the refrigerator for about 30 to 45 minutes to firm up.
6. Heat oil over medium heat in a pan and fry patties for 8 to 10 minutes, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
7. While the patties are frying, toast buns and prepare your favourite condiments.
8. On this particular day, we used whole grain buns, a layer of Dijon mustard, creamy avocado slices, and fresh tomato slices to build our vegan burger.